Monday, February 8, 2010

The secrets of life

I had no idea. 

When I found out, I felt so stupid, ashamed, clueless,  in the dark.

How did I not know? 

THIS...

is made by mixing only THESE...


Just TWO things!

That is it!  There are no other ingredients.  Why did I not know this?  How did I not know this?  Why would anyone ever buy brown sugar in a bag already mixed?

And get this... if a recipe calls for DARK brown sugar?  You just add more molasses.  Seriously, how did I get through 21 years of life (ok, 31... whatever) without know this?

I vow today to never buy brown sugar again.   EVER.

Please tell me I am not the only one who thought brown sugar was some complex, complicated, multi-ingredient concoction.  please?!? 

11 comments:

  1. I'm 34, and while I knew that it was just white sugar with molasses, I never actually made my own until about 6 months ago. Of course, I never baked like I do now until about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought that too, until one day I ran out of brown sugar and googled it to see if anything could be substituted for it. I was suprised to see the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it really cheaper to buy the two ingredients and mix them together? Can you mix it and use immediately? These are the questions I ponder in my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Panic not, I didn't know that either! I thought brown was sugar that was less refined!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your not the only one. I had no idea it was made out of sugar and molasses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually use molasses so I do have brown sugar. Have to have some for oatmeal..

    ReplyDelete
  7. No particular ratio? I knew it was made from that but didn't think I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea! I can think back to times where I went to make a recipe that called for brown sugar, didn't have and ran to the store to get it! Agh-you mean I could have made it all along?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I'm not the only one!
    The Kimbles - Yes, it can be used right away or stored. I did not use very much molasses in the batch I did today, so even a small bottle would last a long time and make a ton of brown sugar. If you purchase regular sugar in bulk, it has to be cheaper - especially if buying organic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! I feel foolish. I did not know it was that simple, either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL on the 21. :) Don't you just love it when you discover new/old things.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin