Thursday, April 22, 2010

dunch? linner? dinnery lunch?

I made dinner of homemade chicken nuggets, mixed veggies, honey chicken fennel, and some sweet couscous.  I really made the couscous as a snack, for tomorrow as well as something to go into my own lunch, but we went ahead and had it with dinner as well.

I started cleaning up the kitchen after dinner and asked the kids if they had ideas for their lunches.  They started rattling off items from dinner that I was putting away.  The fennel dish was gone, (not a hit with the single digit crowd anyhow) but they actually requested everything I made for dinner to go into their lunches.  They actually asked for veggies... I mean, the wanted them.  I have to say... I faked my smile to cover up my look of shock!

so, here ya go... chicken nuggets, fresh pineapple and mango,  seasoned mixed veggies, sweetened couscous (couscous with cinnamon and raisins).

6 comments:

  1. couscous with just cinnamon and raisins or was there something else to sweeten it? it sounds very interesting and I'd love to try it. do you have a recipe, or is it a "creation" as my husband calls them?

    :)
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I buy organic couscous in the bulk section of a local store and follow the couscous to water ratio. As the water boils, throw in raisins to plump and cinnamon. I added a little nutmeg to this batch, too. Once boiling, add couscous and let sit. It usually comes out a little stickier than normal. I imagine if you plumped the raisins in a different pot and added at the end it would work better... but I like the one pot thing and my kids like sticky, so it's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, no sugar or sweetener added. The raisins do a good job of adding sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to hear how you made the homemade chicken nuggets. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cut organic chicken breast into pieces

    add a little flour to panko breadcrumbs
    add salt/pepper or desired seasoning to the mixture
    toss in chicken and then pan fry in just a little oil (or bake).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin